2007:1747 - RNI05 A4/A5, Site 4, Armalughey, Tyrone

County: Tyrone Site name: RNI05 A4/A5, Site 4, Armalughey

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: AE/06/105, AE/06/276

Author: Kirsty Dingwall, Headland Archaeology Ltd, 13 Jane Street, Edinburgh EH6 4AP.

Site type: Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age ritual structure

ITM: E 663356m, N 857349m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 54.460684, -7.022846

Prehistoric features were identified during trial-trenching, carried out in June 2006 along the line of the upgraded A4, between 26430 35685 and 26444 35690, under licence AE/06/105. Excavation between January and June 2007 under licence AE/06/276 revealed a single structure, 16m in diameter, comprising an inner ring of massive post-pits and an outer ring of pits, each containing four post-pipes, which probably pinned sections of walling in place. A large trapezoidal entrance structure projected on the south-east side, fronted by a series of pits which appear to represent a monumental fa├žade. An arrangement of six large backfilled pits, pre-dating the post-hole structure, produced Beaker and Carrowkeel ware sherds. The structure is interpreted as a timber circle or ceremonial building. A ditch and a group of pits and hearths to the east of the structure are thought to represent prehistoric settlement activity.