2004:0639 - 11 FITZWILLIAM QUAY, RINGSEND, Dublin

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Dublin Site name: 11 FITZWILLIAM QUAY, RINGSEND

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 18:56(01, 05, 06) Licence number: 04E0808

Author: Kevin Lohan, Margaret Gowen and Co. Ltd, 27 Merrion Square, Dublin 2.

Site type: Post-medieval industrial

ITM: E 717996m, N 733752m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.340823, -6.228086

The site is 3500m square and is bounded to the west by Fitzwilliam Quay, to the east by Fitzwilliam Street and to the north and south by private retail and residential properties. It lies within the zone of archaeological potential for the medieval settlement of Ringsend. This portion of Ringsend was much altered during the rerouting of the River Dodder and the construction of Grand Canal Dock, which took place at the end of the 19th century. The area had been the delta of the Dodder and was a serious obstacle to traffic approaching Dublin city from the south. After the works the area became one of the industrial heartlands of the city, with access into the area by road and canal and with newly reclaimed land to be developed. The cartographic evidence for the site shows this, with the site being developed as a glassworks and then a leadworks. The archaeological evidence backs this up, with the remains of large industrial buildings being uncovered.

The structures discovered during the reduction of the ground level correspond nearly exactly to those shown on the 1911 OS map and no material earlier than the 19th century came to light.