2004:0607 - 717-727 SOUTH CIRCULAR ROAD, ISLANDBRIDGE, Dublin

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Dublin Site name: 717-727 SOUTH CIRCULAR ROAD, ISLANDBRIDGE

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 04E0243

Author: Helen Keogh, 11 Norseman Place, Stoneybatter, Dublin 7.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 712619m, N 734103m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.345154, -6.308670

The site is located in an area of archaeological/ historical interest close to the Islandbridge/ Kilmainham Viking burial sites to the south. Historical maps have shown buildings along the street frontage at this location since at least 1756 (e.g. Rocque's map). The present site, incorporating Nos 717-727, forms part of what was an Islandbridge village area, with the buildings having both residential and commercial use.

Because of its proximity to the River Liffey, in medieval times the Islandbridge/Kilmainham area was one where mills were sited, harnessing the river, north of the site location.

There was no evidence for any significant archaeological features within the test-trenches opened. The overall stratigraphical profile of the site reflected its historic use as a gravel pit, with a gravel horizon present throughout all the trenches, using the rear of the site for the infilling of rubble and refuse.

Monitoring for the basement excavation is to be carried out in 2005.