2004:0487 - CLONSHAUGH, Dublin

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Dublin Site name: CLONSHAUGH

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 14:56 Licence number: 04E0557

Author: Dominic Delany, Dominic Delany & Associates, Unit 3, Howley Court, Oranmore, Co. Galway.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 718939m, N 741776m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.412688, -6.210907

Test excavation was carried out on a proposed development site at Clonshaugh, Co. Dublin, on 19 April 2004. The site is located north-west of 'Woodlands House', which is traditionally associated with Jonathan Swift but was in fact built for his friend Rev. Jack Jackson in 1734. An earlier property on the same site was listed in the Hearth Money Rolls in the mid-17th century. A small mound located in the south-east corner of the development site, and previously listed as a recorded monument, was excavated by Valerie Keeley in April 1991 (Excavations 1991, No. 31). No archaeological material was found and the site was subsequently delisted.

A large tracked excavator was retained to open six trenches (50-100m long) in the area to the west of the delisted monument. The stratigraphy was uniform across the tested area, with grey/brown clayey silt topsoil averaging 0.3m in thickness overlying light-yellow/brown and grey/brown clayey sand subsoil. No archaeological features, finds or deposits were discovered during testing.