2004:0309 - ST JOSEPH ROAD, MALLOW, Cork

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Cork Site name: ST JOSEPH ROAD, MALLOW

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 04E0298

Author: Tony Cummins, for Sheila Lane & Associates, AE House, Monahan Road, Cork.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 556801m, N 598922m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.140468, -8.631097

Three test-trenches were opened across the former site of the 'Old Court House', located to the north-east of Mallow town, prior to the proposed redevelopment of the site as an apartment complex. The courthouse building is shown in the north half of the proposed development site on the 1842 first-edition OS map. There are no extant remains of the courthouse visible within the development area, although portions of its walls survive in the surrounding boundary walls.

The stratigraphy in each of the test-trenches consisted of a dark, gravel-rich garden soil overlying a shale-rich natural subsoil. The only feature of interest uncovered was the 1m-wide foundation trench of the eastern wall of the courthouse. The absence of any wall remains or demolition rubble in any of the trenches indicated that the building stones were removed for use elsewhere.