2003:2058 - St Peter's Square, Wexford, Wexford

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Wexford Site name: St Peter's Square, Wexford

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 37:16(02) Licence number: 03E0061 ext.

Author: Orla Scully, 7 Bayview, Tramore, Co. Waterford.

Site type: Urban

ITM: E 704782m, N 621623m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.336195, -6.462436

Monitoring in May 2003 followed testing carried out by Cathy Sheehan in February 2003 (No. 2057 above). The development is on the west side of St Peter's Square, Wexford, once the location of a church dedicated to St Peter. The church was described as 'recently destroyed' in 1680 and is marked as 'in ruins' on the 1841 OS map. By the time of the second-edition OS map in the 1950s, there is no longer any mention of the church site.

Other than the base of a red-brick midden in the back yard, which yielded china ware and a jar produced in Denby for a retailer in Enniscorthy, no significant archaeological features were disturbed by the groundworks.