2003:1932 - Lady Lane, Waterford, Waterford

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Waterford Site name: Lady Lane, Waterford

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 00E0276

Author: Joanna Wren, The Mile Post, Waterford.

Site type: Urban medieval

ITM: E 660737m, N 612853m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.264018, -7.110212

The site for the Waterford City Library is on the north side of Lady Lane, on the line of the intramural city wall separating the Hiberno-Norse town from the walled Anglo-Norman suburb. Excavation work here has been taking place since 2000 (Excavations 2000, No. 1006; 2001, No. 1254; 2002, No. 1813). The background and history of the site has been outlined in these reports.

In 2003 work continued, completing a display pit for the remains of Our Lady’s Gate tower, which were exposed during excavation, and with intermittent monitoring of excavations for service connections trenches. No material of archaeological significance was uncovered in these trenches. The library opened officially in February 2004 with a quadrant of Our Lady’s Gate tower exposed below a glass floor, according to a design agreed between the City Council, Dúchas and the consultant archaeologist.