2003:1929 - John Street, Waterford, Waterford

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Waterford Site name: John Street, Waterford

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 9:12(05) Licence number: 02E0984

Author: John Tierney, Eachtra Archaeological Projects, Ballycurreen Industrial Estate, Kinsale Road, Cork.

Site type: Urban

ITM: E 660658m, N 612103m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.257290, -7.111511

Planning permission for change of use from a butcher's shop and living accommodation to a restaurant/takeaway and ancillary services required supervision of the proposed removal of internal walls, which included the initial removal of plaster to examine the underlying walls. The client proposed to remove one internal wall during the renovation works, and this work was monitored. John Street is situated in the parish of St John's in the western suburb of the city. Located within half a kilometre of the River Suir on the south side of the river, the site is within the zone of archaeological potential for Waterford city.

The removal of all render and the demolition of the wall were monitored and nothing of archaeological significance was uncovered. The demolished wall was 4m high, 3.2m wide (north-south) and 0.4m thick. It had a doorway to the centre. Render was stripped from the eastern face of the wall before demolition. It was built of red brick using the common bond method with third course headers (two courses of stretchers, one course of headers). The west face of the wall revealed the same common bond arrangement as the east face. There was no medieval fabric identified in the wall prior to demolition. The construction date of this building is likely to be late 18th or early 19th century.

Editor's note: Although excavated during 2002, the summary of this work was not received in time for inclusion in the bulletin of that year.