2003:1893 - Kill St Lawrence, Waterford

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Waterford Site name: Kill St Lawrence

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E0883

Author: Orla Scully, 7 Bayview, Tramore, Co. Waterford.

Site type: Monitoring

ITM: E 661307m, N 609054m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.229810, -7.102554

The new route of the Waterford Airport Road realignment passes close to the ruined church of Kill St Lawrence (SMR 17:5). The modern field boundary on the line of the outer fosse was excavated and removed by Aidan O’Connell (No. 1892 above, 03E0129).

The area of the road nearest the church was preserved in situ using several layers of specialised fabric and stone. The remainder of the route was monitored by the writer.

The monitoring covered a stretch of 800m, with an average width of 14m. A small offshoot back to the old road was also stripped.

A well, marked on the second-edition OS map but not the first-edition, was exposed and a density of glass and pottery was noted near the site of a no longer extant house, evident on the first-edition map. A road surface was exposed in the area of this house, still in use as a cattle track. The most significant discovery was the partial remains of a kiln, possibly a drying kiln. The remains consisted of a subcircular fire bowl filled with black silt rich in charcoal. Leading from this, going north, was the remnants of a flue, filled with fine oxidised silt. A sample from the kiln has been sent for plant and charcoal analysis.