2003:1863 - Carrickpherish, Waterford

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Waterford Site name: Carrickpherish

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E1880

Author: Melanie McQuade, Margaret Gowen & Co. Ltd, 2 Killiney View, Albert Road Lower, Glenageary, Co. Dublin.

Site type: Pits and a post-hole

ITM: E 658006m, N 612415m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.260378, -7.150297

Monitoring and full-scale excavation were carried out on two sites of potential (Field 12, No. 1905 below, 03E1879, and Field 7, 03E1880) which were identified as a result of previous testing on the proposed Carrickpherish Road (No. 1900 below, 03E1795). The following refers to investigations carried out in Field 7, on 9-10 December 2003, before the commencement of construction works.

The line of the road runs along an elevated area (c. 56m OD) of Field 7. The stratigraphy comprised 0.3-0.38m of ploughsoil overlying natural subsoil. Three features were identified cutting into natural, but there was no stratigraphic relationship between them. Nothing was found to indicate dates for the features and post-excavation analysis has not yet been completed.

In the south-western area of the road-take was a subrectangular pit measuring 2.45m north-west/south-east by 0.7m. This was filled with dark-brown stony clay (0.1m deep). Another pit was identified c. 8m to the north. It measured 2m by 1.2m and up to 0.22m deep. Its fill was dark-brown sandy clay with frequent limestone and sandstones, some of which were burnt. There were regular flecks of charcoal throughout the fill, but a concentration was noted towards the base of the pit. There were no signs of burning or scorched earth in the pit, indicating that the material had been burnt elsewhere before being deposited in the pit; alternatively, given the quantity of charcoal and the presence of burnt stone in its fill, it is possible that it served as some type of pit boiler. A single post-hole (0.22m in diameter) was located 7.7m to the west of this pit. This could be part of a pre-existing structure located outside the road-take.