2003:1837 - Site 37, Windmill, Tipperary

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Tipperary Site name: Site 37, Windmill

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E0419

Author: Neil Fairburn, Cocyn Uchaf, Moelfre, Anglesey, Wales, for Judith Carroll Network Archaeology Ltd.

Site type: 18th/19th-century farmhouse

ITM: E 606701m, N 639280m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.504871, -7.901298

Phase 2 excavation at Site 37 was carried out on behalf of South Tipperary County Council in advance of construction of the N8 Cashel Bypass and N74 Link Road. The scheme involves a 6km bypass route of the town and a 2km link road of the N74.

Site 37 had previously been investigated by Anne Marie Lennon (Excavations 2002, No. 1776, 02E0378) during Phase 1 pre-construction works in 2002. The investigation identified the ruins of a possible late 18th-/early 19th-century cottage and farm buildings. These had been marked on the OS first-edition map, but, by the publication of the second-edition map, they had fallen into ruins.

Work at Site 37 revealed the nature and extent of a multi-phase farmstead complex, comprising a farmhouse and associated outbuildings, surfaces and field boundaries. The major construction phases can be assigned to the period 1700-1840, although the building’s use as a farmhouse may have continued into the early 20th century and agricultural activity on the site probably persisted into the mid-20th century.