2003:1827 - Site 27, Waller's Lot/Rathordan, Tipperary

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Tipperary Site name: Site 27, Waller's Lot/Rathordan

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E0289

Author: Liam McKinstry, 9 Ballantyne Place, Steamboat Quay, Limerick, for Judith Carroll Network Archaeology Ltd.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 608932m, N 639806m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.509566, -7.868414

Excavation was carried out here before construction of the N8 Cashel Bypass and N74 Link Road. Testing had been undertaken by Anne Marie Lennon in this area during Phase 1 works (Excavations 2002, No. 1704, 02E0286). A cluster of possible stake-holes was identified during testing and the area was highlighted for resolution.

The site, located between Chainages 4420 and 4460, was 70m wide. It was in a large field. To the east, curving gently in a north-north-east/south-south-west and then north-south direction, was the townland boundary wall, which crossed the eastern part of the site. This wall separated the Corporation land in the west from what was Church land in Rathordan. It appeared to be mainly 19th to early 20th century in construction with some rebuilding and robbing out in recent times.

Several features were identified. Eleven furrows were identified running approximately south-west/north-east. Also identified were a series of sixteen subcircular features evenly spread out across the site. There were also three other linear features: one was slightly irregular and situated among the furrows and the others were located in the eastern part of the site. A shallow, stone-filled feature and a large pit were also identified in the eastern part of the site. All these features were found to be the result of field clearance or agricultural activity.