2003:1826 - Site 26, Waller's Lot/Rathordan, Tipperary

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Tipperary Site name: Site 26, Waller's Lot/Rathordan

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E0347

Author: Liam McKinstry, 9 Ballantyne Place, Steamboat Quay, Limerick, for Judith Carroll Network Archaeology Ltd.

Site type: Furrow/boundary?

ITM: E 608881m, N 639851m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.509971, -7.869164

Testing was carried out here before the construction of the N8 Cashel Bypass and N74 Link Road. Site 26 was located between Chainages 4460 and 4530, within a large, flat field. To the east, curving gently in a north-north-east/south-south-west and then north-south direction was the townland boundary wall, which crossed the eastern part of the site. This wall separated the Corporation land in the west from what was Church land in Rathordan. The wall appeared to be mainly 19th to early 20th century in construction with some rebuilding and robbing out in recent times.

Six trenches were excavated across the area. A single continuous trench was excavated along the centre-line of the proposed route. Offset trenches were also excavated at 90¡ from the centre-line trench out to the extents of the CPO. These trenches were placed 20m apart and were staggered on either side. No features or deposits of archaeological significance were identified, except for a single linear feature which measured c. 1m wide and 0.04m deep. It was aligned north-west/south-east and was filled with a grey/red clay silt. The feature was thought to be either the remains of an agricultural furrow or, more probably, the foundation remains of the townland boundary.