2003:1805 - Terryglass 2, Terryglass, Tipperary

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Tipperary Site name: Terryglass 2, Terryglass

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 6:3 Licence number: 03E1506

Author: Daniel Noonan, the Archaeology Company, Birr Technology Centre, Mill Island, Birr, Co. Offaly, for Irish Archaeological Consultancy Ltd.

Site type: Medieval

ITM: E 586334m, N 700480m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.054784, -8.203841

Pre-development testing was undertaken at Terryglass 2, Terryglass village, Co. Tipperary, as part of the Seven Villages Grouped DBO Scheme for North and South County Tipperary. Testing was required, as the proposed development lies within the zone of archaeological potential for the village. The pipeline of the proposed wastewater scheme runs near an early medieval ecclesiastical complex, a 16th-century bawn wall and through the line of the associated ecclesiastical enclosure.

Fourteen trenches measuring 3m by 0.7m were excavated along the route of the proposed scheme. Trenches 3-6 contained potentially archaeological deposits. Trench 7, located outside the eastern boundary wall of the graveyard in the village, revealed human remains. They were left in situ, having been protected by a covering of geotextile and fine sand.