2003:1724 - Our Lady, Tipperary

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Tipperary Site name: Our Lady

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 61:25 Licence number: 98E0302 ext.

Author: Mary G. O'Donnell

Site type: Urban medieval

ITM: E 607581m, N 640298m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.514005, -7.888310

Work continued on the redevelopment of Our Lady's Hospital, Cashel, previously reported in Excavations 1998, No. 596 and 2002, No. 1713. A portion of the town wall forms the boundary between the hospital and the site of the development, with the hospital being outside the town wall. Existing services from the hospital were extended into the new development under the foundations of the town wall, at a pre-existing modern breach. During this work, a ditch was uncovered on the outside of the wall. A 2m-wide section of the ditch was excavated. It was a broad, fairly shallow cut with a sloping base and measured c. 5.5m wide and 1-1.6m deep. It was filled with a single 0.7-1.2m-thick layer of brown compact sticky clay, which contained charcoal flecks, below modern deposits. No date for the excavation of the ditch or the construction of the wall was established. The ditch is similar to one found on the exterior of the wall at 44-46 Main Street/Lower Gate Square on the western side of the town.

Archaeological Services Unit, University College, Cork.