2003:1722 - Chapel Lane, Cashel, Tipperary

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Tipperary Site name: Chapel Lane, Cashel

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 61:25 Licence number: 03E0396

Author: Colm Moloney, Headland Archaeology Ltd, Unit 4b, Europa Enterprise Park, Midleton, Co. Cork.

Site type: Urban medieval/post-medieval

ITM: E 607624m, N 640604m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.516757, -7.887675

An excavation was carried out at Chapel Lane, Cashel, Co. Tipperary, in response to earlier testing by Dave Pollock (Excavations 2002, No. 1708, 02E1802) and the recommendations resulting from that work.

The excavations revealed a series of occupation layers that possibly date to the earliest phases of the town's development. The foundations of two medieval property boundaries were identified along the north-west and south-east of the site and a line of stake-holes at the north of the site may have represented an earlier boundary. A dense layer of medieval rubbish accumulation may have been representative of dumping at the rear of a Main Street property prior to the construction of buildings facing onto Chapel Lane.

A series of clay floors and rough paved areas related to buildings which occupied the site during the medieval period and fronted onto Chapel Lane. The site appears to have fallen into disuse for a time during the post-medieval period and two layers of 'garden soil' were identified at these levels. The site was occupied again from the late 17th century or 18th century to the present day.