2003:1708 - Cahir Presbyterian Church, Cahir, Tipperary

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Tipperary Site name: Cahir Presbyterian Church, Cahir

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 75:48 Licence number: 03E0648 ext.

Author: Stuart D. Elder, for Eachtra Archaeological Projects, Ballycurreen Industrial Estate, Cork.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 604749m, N 625235m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.378651, -7.930251

The Cahir Presbyterian Church committee submitted a planning application for the installation of a circular window, reduction of the front perimeter wall, provision of a fire exit to the rear of the building and slight landscaping of the grounds, predominantly to the rear and sides of the church, where it was overgrown with vegetation.

The church, built originally as a Quaker Meeting House in the 1830s, is situated within the zone of archaeological potential for Cahir. In granting planning permission, Tipperary South Riding County Council required monitoring. Monitoring of the development revealed nothing of archaeological significance.