2003:1693 - Site 2, Ballyknock, Tipperary

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Tipperary Site name: Site 2, Ballyknock

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E0297

Author: Neil O'Flanagan, 3 Manor Street, Stoneybatter, Dublin 7.

Site type: Furrows

ITM: E 609494m, N 642365m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.532552, -7.860064

Site 2 was excavated in advance of construction of the N8 Cashel Bypass and N74 Link Road. Excavation took place from 4 to 6 April 2003. The site was situated to the south of the Old Kilkenny Road, Cashel, Tipperary, which formed its northern boundary. It comprised an irregularly shaped area 2180m2. Prior to the excavation, the area formed part of a large open field used for pasture. It was relatively flat and well drained and lay at the base of Ballyknock Hill. A partially destroyed ringfort is visible on the slopes of the hill overlooking the site.

The excavation exposed a series of shallow furrows, notably to the west of a boundary ditch bisecting the area. The boundary ditch was observed in the adjacent Area 3 to the south. The excavation suggests that the predominant use of the area was for tillage to the west and pasture to the east. The entire area has been used more recently for pasture.