2003:1680 - Calry Church, The Mall, Rathquarter, Sligo, Sligo

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Sligo Site name: Calry Church, The Mall, Rathquarter, Sligo

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 14:65 Licence number: 03E0514

Author: Martin A. Timoney, Bóthar an Chorainn, Keash, Co. Sligo.

Site type: Early 19th-century church

ITM: E 569585m, N 836071m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 54.272540, -8.466955

Calry Church of Ireland church on The Mall in Sligo dates to 1824. It is on the slope down to the Garvogue River, upriver of and on the opposite bank to Sligo Dominican Abbey. It was a relief church on a virgin site and does not have a graveyard.

Beneath the church, five red-brick storage vaults, now to be known as The Catacombs, taking up the entire ground under the church, are to be refurbished for a variety of uses.

Three engineering test-holes dug prior to archaeological involvement were examined. These show that the ground under the church was dug out for the building and that the present floor is a backfill of glacially derived round stones and heavy soil, 0.15-0.2m of which will be removed. It is proposed to link the vaults by the construction of an external glass corridor and to erect a circulation tower at the west end of the corridor. Testing of this ground is expected to take place in 2004.