2003:1672 - Sligo, Sligo

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Sligo Site name: Sligo

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E0903

Author: Stephen J. Linnane, Archaeological Consultancy Services Ltd, Unit 21, Boyne Business Park, Greenhills, Drogheda, Co. Louth.

Site type: Urban

ITM: E 568993m, N 836528m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 54.276610, -8.476089

As part of the work connected with the proposed N4 Sligo Inner Relief Road and County Extension, centre-line testing was undertaken, with spur trenches running at 45¡ every 10m.

The route of the proposed road runs through the western part of the town northwards from Upper John Street and ending at St John's Dock. It is outside the supposed course of the 17th-century town walls. The first-edition 6-inch OS map (1837) shows the area as largely undeveloped, although the street pattern was already mostly in place. The second edition (1913) shows a very different townscape, with a high density of occupation (residential to the south but increasingly industrial to the north) approaching the quaysides.

All standing structures had been demolished prior to testing. Numerous wall foundations were found during testing but all related to recent structures (post-1800). No earlier finds or structures were found.