2003:1648 - Shannonspark West and Curraghnagap, Easky, Sligo

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Sligo Site name: Shannonspark West and Curraghnagap, Easky

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 11:21, 11:18 Licence number: 03E0670

Author: Martin A. Timoney, Bóthar an Chorainn, Keash, Co. Sligo.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 537411m, N 838127m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 54.288085, -8.961283

Planning permission was granted for townhouses and associated works at Shannonspark West on a 5.5-acre site between Easky Abbey, SMR 11:21, and a ringfort, SMR 11:18. Testing was required. Site preparation works (soil-stripping of about 80% of the area) began before archaeological involvement. Nothing of archaeological significance was noted in later walking of the site.

The houses were tested by seven 2m-wide trenches, 48.6-158m long. Nothing of archaeological interest was found. Bedrock was just under the current surface and a thin layer of glacial deposits covered the rock.

Breraton estate maps of Easky show a corn mill at the sloping south-east corner of the development, nothing of which survives above ground. In this area, about 1.5-2m depth of soil, with a wide variety of modern materials, was removed for the sewage unit. Quantities of cockle and periwinkle shells were found, tucked in against the natural stepping of the bedrock; modern glass and crockery was associated with the shells. The eating of shellfish along the Sligo coast has a long history, continuing down to the present day.