2003:1572 - Curryroe, Roscommon

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Roscommon Site name: Curryroe

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 51:67 Licence number: 03E0553

Author: Martin E. Byrne, Byrne Mullins & Associates, 7 Cnoc na Gréine Square, Kilcullen, Co. Kildare.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 598086m, N 738325m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.395076, -8.028772

Testing was undertaken at a proposed single-house site in the townland of Curryroe, Co. Roscommon, on 2 April 2003. The first-edition OS 6-inch map (1837) indicates a castle (site of) within the boundaries of the property. The only documentary reference to such is noted in the OS Notebooks, which mention the tradition of a castle at the site. According to the landowner, a flat-topped mound which existed on the site was removed in the late 1970s. In addition, there is a suggestion from the same cartographic source that a section of the enclosing element of the nearby Drum Church and graveyard, SMR 51:65, located on the site of a late 5th-century monastery, ran through the southern end of the site. There is no visible evidence for such a feature.

Four trenches were excavated both by machine and hand within, and immediately outside, the proposed development area. No features or finds of archaeological interest were uncovered.