2003:1444 - CeilĂ­ House, Cogan Street, Oldcastle, Meath

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Meath Site name: CeilĂ­ House, Cogan Street, Oldcastle

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E0598

Author: E. Eoin Sullivan, for Margaret Gowen & Co. Ltd, 2 Killiney View, Albert Road Lower, Glenageary, Co. Dublin.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 655217m, N 780373m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.770021, -7.162416

The site of the proposed development was tested following demolition of the existing modern buildings at the southern end of the site. The site is located along Cogan Street, formerly Castle Street, across the road from the church site of St Bride's (SMR 9:18), on which the present Church of Ireland church stands.

The site was tested on the basis of two linear trenches. Trench 1 was 28m in length and was oriented in a north-south direction parallel with the eastern perimeter wall of the site. The topsoil had been removed from the site as part of the original development of the recently demolished buildings. The northern portion of the trench contained the original ground surface, which consisted of a compact dark-brown mottled clay with occasional fragments of red brick and sherds of modern willow-pattern ceramics. This portion of the trench was outside the planned building line associated with the proposed development. Trench 2 was 11m in length and was oriented in a north-south direction at the centre of the site. The trench consisted of compact natural sand and boulder clay. No features of archaeological significance were encountered during the testing of the site.