2003:1387 - Daw, Meath

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Meath Site name: Daw

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E0698

Author: Rosanne Meenan, Roestown, Drumree, Co. Meath.

Site type: Urban

ITM: E 710183m, N 763817m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.612583, -6.334806

The development site lies to the north of the concentration of monuments that survive in Duleek village, although it lies within the outline of the monastic enclosure and south of Larrix Street, which follows part of the line of the monastic enclosure on the north side of the town. The closest recorded monuments are St Cianan's Church (SMR 27:14) and the complex of monuments marked as 'Abbey' (SMR 27:15), comprising high crosses, the remains of a round tower and the remains of a medieval church. Planning permission was granted to construct three blocks of two semi-detached houses.

Monitoring was carried out during soil-stripping and excavation of wall footings for three blocks of six houses. Topsoil was 1.2m deep. The footings for the blocks at the west end of the site cut through pure brown clay. The footing for the block at the east end of the site cut through very mixed layers of sand, gravel and clay. Five sherds of green-glazed medieval pottery were recovered from the topsoil. Nothing of archaeological significance was exposed during excavation of foundations through subsoil.