2003:1255 - Castletown, Dundalk, Louth

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Louth Site name: Castletown, Dundalk

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 7:118(07) Licence number: 03E1855

Author: Kieran Campbell, 6 St Ultan's, Laytown, Drogheda.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 702859m, N 808650m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 54.016804, -6.430471

The development site, an 11m by 6m extension at the rear of an existing house, second from the east end in a row of fourteen modern bungalows, was situated on the north side of the Castleblaney Road, 80m to the west of Castletown crossroads. The site is at the western boundary of the zone of archaeological potential around the medieval settlement of Castletown. The settlement at Castletown was founded by Bertram de Verdon between 1185 and 1190. The large motte, Castletown Mount or Dún Dealgan, survives from this period, probably built on top of an earlier enclosure. The development site is c. 250m due north of the motte. Test-trenches excavated along the lines of the proposed foundations revealed nothing of archaeological interest.