2003:1244 - Moneymore, Drogheda, Louth

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Louth Site name: Moneymore, Drogheda

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 02E1695

Author: Deirdre Murphy, Archaeological Consultancy Services Ltd, Unit 21, Boyne Business Park, Greenhills, Drogheda, Co. Louth.

Site type: Urban medieval

ITM: E 708966m, N 775286m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.715865, -6.349178

Excavation of this site in the townland of Moneymore, Drogheda, Co. Louth, was carried out in March-April 2003. This excavation relates to a second phase of the development, following resolution of the main part of the site in 1998-1999 (Excavations 1999, No. 574, 98E0544). Previous excavation at this site exposed extensive deposits and structures of archaeological significance.

In February-March 2003, an area within Phase 2 of the development was resolved by Stephen Linnane (No. 1243 above). This area was located within the centre of the development and it contained a large amount of post-medieval garden soil, the foundations of 19th-century buildings, a large refuse pit (17th/18th-century), two small pits (14th/15th-century) and the remains of a corn-drying kiln. The area to the north of this cutting and fronting onto William Street was resolved in April 2003 by the writer and the licence was transferred from Stephen Linnane.

Excavation in this area of the site exposed 32 features, including late mortared walls extending north-south and east-west, a stone and brick drain, a cobbled floor and numerous layers of garden soil. A pit of probable 14th-century date was evident to the west of the cutting and two larger pits containing vast quantities of animal bone were also evident in this part of the cutting. A section of a clay-bonded wall nearly 2m in length was evident in the eastern part of the cutting and it extended in an east-west direction. It was cut by later walls of 19th/20th-century date and it only survived to one course in height. To the north of this feature a small deposit (2m by 1.5m maximum) of compacted orange clay was evident that may have represented the remains of a clay floor. Finds recovered from this cutting included post-medieval earthenware sherds, slipware sherds, local and non-local late medieval pottery, floor tiles, fragments of glass, Saintonge pottery sherds and a possible sherd of polychrome Saintonge. Some rusty metal objects were also recovered, but these will remain unidentifiable until conservation is carried out. A leather shoe was also recovered, and coins of 17th-century date. Excavation in this cutting concluded that a high degree of disturbance has taken place in the last two centuries and hence the survival of archaeological deposits is less than anticipated.

Further excavation is necessary at this site and it is anticipated that this will be carried out in 2004, when demolition is completed and the land becomes available.