2003:1105 - KILLANANIMA, Dromahair, Leitrim

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Leitrim Site name: KILLANANIMA, Dromahair

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E0281

Author: Martin A. Timoney

Site type: Bawn

Period/Dating: Post Medieval (AD 1600-AD 1750)

ITM: E 580813m, N 830159m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 54.219965, -8.294206

This development is for the conversion into apartments of the Hosie grain store and other buildings at the former Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway (SLNCR) station at Killananima, Dromahair, Co. Leitrim, and connection to the village sewage works. The SLNCR served from 1879 to 1957. The grain store was added by John Hosie in 1909.

The SMR indicates an archaeological complex with six small enclosures, SMR 15:69, on the opposite side of the River Bonet in Drumlease townland, and conjoined ringforts SMR 15:70 in Killananima on this side of the river.

Intermittent monitoring, as required, took place between mid-March and mid-August. Nothing of archaeological significance was revealed. Monitoring of the pipe-laying for the sewage from the station to Dromahair village, which ran as close as 9m from the bawn wall of Villiers Castle, was monitored over a four-day period in October 2003. The ground was made up of successive layers of road material on a thin layer of soil on the glacial deposits.

Directly out from where the east tower of the castle bawn would have been, the trench crossed a backfilled drain or pit, more likely a drain from the castle. It was 1.5m wide and 0.92m deep below the present road surface, though only 0.6m was drain fill. An oyster shell, three fragments of bone, a tiny fragment of red-brown glazed pottery and two blocks of stone, probably from the bawn wall, were recovered.

Bóthar an Chorainn, Keash, Co. Sligo