2003:1052 - BALLYDAVIS, MORETT AND CAPPAKEEL, Laois

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Laois Site name: BALLYDAVIS, MORETT AND CAPPAKEEL

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E0128

Author: Ros Ó MaoldĂșin, Valerie J. Keeley Ltd, Brehon House, Kilkenny Road, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny.

Site type: Testing

ITM: E 650899m, N 700167m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.049727, -7.240855

Centre-line trenching took place at four sections along the M7 Heath–Mayfield (Monasterevin Bypass). The first section was in the townland of Ballydavis beside SMR 13:26(02). A series of parallel trenches were placed at four locations. Remains of a mostly prehistoric nature were located at all locations. They were later excavated by Grace Fegan (No. 1053 below, 03E0151), Colm Hardy (No. 1055 below, 03E0905) and Ros Ó MaoldĂșin (No. 1054 below, 03E0966). The second section was in the west of Morett townland adjacent to The Heath. No remains of an archaeological nature were uncovered. The third section was in the east of Morett townland and traversed the land just north of Morett Castle. Three skeletons, two ring-ditches, at least three prehistoric structures and a fulacht fiadh were discovered here and were later excavated by Eoghan Moore (Nos 1077, 03E0429; 1079, 03E0636 below) and Eamon Cotter (No. 1078 below, 03E0461). The fourth section was in the townland of Cappakeel, just south of New Inn Cross. A large number of scattered archaeological features, including a prehistoric ring-ditch, a linear medieval ditch, evidence of metalworking and remains of charcoal production, were uncovered and later excavated by Ros Ó MaoldĂșin (No. 1063 below, 03E0633) and Audrey Gahan (Cappakeel Site F1, 03E0603).