2003:1014 - THE COUNTY INFIRMARY, JOHN’S GREEN, KILKENNY, Kilkenny

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Kilkenny Site name: THE COUNTY INFIRMARY, JOHN’S GREEN, KILKENNY

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 03E1946

Author: Sinéad Phelan, Margaret Gowen & Co. Ltd, 2 Killiney View, Albert Road Lower, Glenageary, Co. Dublin.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 650952m, N 656267m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.655194, -7.246920

An assessment was carried out at a site at John’s Green, Kilkenny, in December 2003. The site is within the medieval suburb of St John’s on the eastern side of the River Nore but just outside the zone of archaeological potential as indicated on the RMP for Kilkenny city. The site, the former County Infirmary, is a three-storey-over-basement structure built c. 1767. A four-bay extension, rising to two storeys in height, was added to the south-east side of the infirmary between 1840 and 1871. A number of single- and two-storey modern extensions were added to the north-west, south-east and rear of the main building c. 1990. The building, including extensions, presently functions as a hostel and has ‘protected structure’ status.

The proposed redevelopment will involve the demolition of the c. 1990 extensions at the north-west, south-east and rear of the main building, the gate lodge and entrance gateway, and the provision of openings in the existing boundary wall fronting onto Wolfe Tone Street. The proposed construction includes a three- and four-storey development comprising 34 apartments, with three retail units at ground level over a basement carpark.

Nothing of archaeological significance was identified during testing.