2002:1549 - Ballina, Offaly

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Offaly Site name: Ballina

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR 8:35 Licence number: 02E0584

Author: Áine Richardson, Eachtra Archaeological Projects, Unit 2F, Dungarvan Business Park, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford.

Site type: No archaeological significance

ITM: E 622646m, N 729078m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.311492, -7.660179

Monitoring was carried out during the excavation of foundation trenches for an extension at the rear of a house at Ballina, Ballycumber, Co. Offaly. The site is near a ringfort. The dwelling, a Georgian house, previously functioned as Ballina Rectory and is now a farmhouse. Examination of the first-edition OS 6-inch map (1841) showed that the ringfort was cultivated as a garden associated with the house. The extension was being constructed on what had been a concrete yard behind the house. The yard was at the same level as the basement of the house and was therefore much lower than the ground in the rest of the site. The extension was being built to the north and north-west of the house, on both the lowered and the original ground levels. No archaeological remains were uncovered during the excavation works.