1999:842 - CROUGHATESKIN, BALLYMACARBRY, Waterford

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Waterford Site name: CROUGHATESKIN, BALLYMACARBRY

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 99E0589

Author: Joanna Wren, The Mile Post, Waterford.

Site type: Adjacent to church and graveyard

ITM: E 618946m, N 612053m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.259858, -7.722471

The proposed development was an extension to a house just south of Teampull na mBeinéad (SMR 5:26), a church site and graveyard (Annals of Inishfallen, 1361). The remains of the east wall of the church (7.3m long, 1m in maximum height) survive, within a rectangular graveyard containing an old school building. A pebble with incised crosses was found in the graveyard. Most of these graveyards were the sites of medieval parish churches. While the beginnings of the parish structure date to the 12th century, many of the extant remains of churches are of 15th- and 16th-century date (Moore 1999, 162).

Because of its proximity to a known monument, Dúchas recommended that an archaeologist monitor all ground disturbance associated with the development. This work was carried out on 19 October 1999.

The foundation trenches were 1m wide and were excavated to a depth of 1m. All trenches contained shallow topsoil above c. 0.2m of natural sandstone shingle and yellow/orange boulder clay.ReferenceMoore M. 1999 Archaeological inventory of County Waterford. Dublin.