1998:012 - MILL LANE, CARLOW, Carlow

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Carlow Site name: MILL LANE, CARLOW

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number: 98E0058

Author: Martin Reid, 37 Errigal Road, Drimnagh, Dublin 12.

Site type: Urban

Period/Dating:

ITM: E 671435m, N 677139m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.840448, -6.939679

The development site at Mill Brook, Mill Lane, Carlow, was tested on 7 February 1998. It lies in the low-lying flood-plain immediately west of Carlow Castle and beside the River Barrow. Two test-trenches were excavated by mechanical digger.

Warehouse buildings had recently been demolished and removed from the site, and discarded stoneware bottles stamped ‘Corcoran & Co. Carlow, Estd. 1827’ were noted in profusion. Deposits consisted of river silts and gravels with no early structural remains. One surprising find was an intact human tibia, and this led to a recommendation that further groundworks be archaeologically monitored.