1992:118 - 'Rothe House', Parliament St, Kilkenny

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Kilkenny Site name: 'Rothe House', Parliament St

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number:

Author: Neil O'Flanagan, Archaeological Development Services Ltd, Power House, Pigeon House Harbour, Dublin 4.

Site type: Urban medieval

ITM: E 651039m, N 655744m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.650485, -7.245708

The removal of the remaining floor level in the interior of the ‘third’ house of the Rothe House complex (1594-1610) was supervised on behalf of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society over a period of 2 weeks in August and September. This followed an excavation in March 1991, directed by Mr Andy Halpin in which a significant portion of the interior was investigated (Excavations 1991, 30-31). In addition, a trial trench was cut in the south-western corner of the middle yard, adjacent to the house, to test the possibility of the existence of a drain associated with the garderobe feature identified by Mr Halpin in the upper floor of the house. The trench revealed a possible drain feature cut into the natural sand and gravel and formed of dry stone walling. The feature, which was revealed to a limited extent before being backfilled, has now been more fully investigated in February-March 1993 and the accumulated work on the site will be the subject of a more substantial report next year.