1990:026 - 'Ballynahatty 5', Ballynahatty, Down

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Down Site name: 'Ballynahatty 5', Ballynahatty

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number:

Author: A three week excavation was undertaken at the eastern end of the larger enclosure during September 1990 where the cropmarks had been obscured, and the

Site type: Palisaded enclosure

ITM: E 732523m, N 867897m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 54.542075, -5.951880

The Giant’s Ring in Ballynahatty Td. (BNH 1), is a large, well-preserved henge surrounding a passage grave at the southern end of an isolated plateau overlooking the River Lagan on the southern outskirts of Belfast. There is documentary evidence of a number of other Neolithic and Bronze Age burials having been found outside the enclosure in the 18th and 19th centuries (McAdam, 1855). Recent air photography has located a number of sites adjacent to the Ring. Of particular interest is a cropmark of a large, double palisaded enclosure (BNH5), 70m x 90m in extent containing a much smaller, circular and similarly constructed enclosure at its eastern end (BNH6 )