1989:054 - Ballymany, Kildare

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Kildare Site name: Ballymany

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number:

Author: Valerie J. Keeley, 29/30 Duke Street, Athy, Co. Kildare.

Site type: Site of church

ITM: E 679334m, N 713131m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.162752, -6.813633

Proposed construction of the Droichead Nua By-Pass necessitated archaeological investigation at the site. Work took place during a five-day period in 1989. The site of a church in the townland of Ballymany is marked on Alexander Taylor’s Map of County Kildare, 1783. No other cartographic evidence exists. An article in the Journal of the Kildare Archaeological Society refers to the remains of a church at the site (J.K.A.S. 1903-5). Though local tradition placed the church somewhat to the north of Taylor’s reference, it was considered prudent to investigate further. It was soon evident that much disturbance owing to extensive quarrying had taken place in the area. Though a considerable area was investigated, no evidence of the church was discovered at the site. A watching brief will take place during road construction. The excavation was financed by Kildare County Council. To be published in 1991 in the Journal of the Kildare Archaeological Society.