1969:014 - Rathgall - Rath East, Wicklow

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Wicklow Site name: Rathgall - Rath East

Sites and Monuments Record No.: N/A Licence number:

Author: Barry J. Raftery, U.C.D.

Site type: Hillfort

ITM: E 690144m, N 673130m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 52.801627, -6.663168

Excavations began this season at this large multivallate hillfort, where three ramparts enclosed a stone-built central cashel. Early occupation of the site in the 3rd and 4th centuries A.D. was evidenced by masses of coarse pottery (of the type found at Freestone Hill, Co. Kilkenny), spindle-whorls, hones, glass beads, mould fragments, a bronze bracelet and a highly decorated bronze strap-mount; also by superimposed rectangular and circular houses, pits, and large hearth sites, all enclosed by an earthen bank with internal ditch. The central stone cashel was built on top of this enclosure at some later date, and may prove to be contemporary with the medieval occupation of the site, attested by finds of the 13th Century pottery and a coin of Edward II dated to 1230 A.D.