- Rahin, Co. Kildare, Kildare

NMI Burial Excavation Records

County: Kildare Site name: Rahin, Co. Kildare

Sites and Monuments Record No.: SMR KD002-015 Licence number:

Author:

Site type: GRAVES OF INDETERMINATE DATE

ITM: E 662573m, N 738737m

Latitude, Longitude (decimal degrees): 53.395080, -7.059190

In July 1956 the Leinster Leader published an article detailing the discovery of human remains at Rahin, Co. Kildare.128 According to the report, two well-preserved skeletons were found in a County Council sandpit during quarrying operations. The pit was located on the former estate of the Palmer family of Rahan House and was operated by Mr Henry Pollard of Edenderry. The site is described as being ‘200 yards from the River Boyne’, which forms the border of the townland on its western side as well as the border between counties Kildare and Offaly. The maps for the area do not show any quarry this close to the river. The Garda report, received at a later date, states that a total of four skeletons were found. They lay extended north/south, in a supine position, three parallel to each other and the fourth ‘in a crosswise position’. The remains were found at a depth of approximately 0.6m below ground level. There was no trace of structural stones, wood or associated artefacts in the vicinity of the burials. According to the Gardaí, there was no local tradition of a burial ground in the area. The remains were not acquired by the NMI.

128. Parish of Carrick, barony of Carbury. SMR KD002-015——. The exact location of the site is not marked.